Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mission #7: Prelude

Setting: Port Arthur, Southern Hemisphere, Smoke Jaguar Firebase Gamma, Primary Communications Room.  One week after the assault on his Firebase, Star Captain Gehrig is contacted by Star Colonel Giambi.

Star Colonel Giambi: Well Done Star Captain.  It pleases me that you have Firebase Gamma back up to 100%.  Now tell me of your mechwarriors and their mechs.  I have a mission for you.



Star Captain Gehrig: Sanders is fine. His Mad Dog was mostly untouched during the assault.  Sax took some significant damage in his Huntsman, but that was repaired as of yesterday.  "Tommy John" took some engine damage with his Summoner, but he took priority in the repair bay and should be fully repaired by tomorrow.  Wells is in need of a replacement, his Hellbringer was a total loss.  My Timberwolf is now being repaired, but it most likely will not be ready for about a week.

Star Colonel Giambi:  A week is too long.  My plan is for you to strike the HPG the day after tomorrow.  I'll be sending you two replacement mechs...




Star Captain Gehrig:  (Holding up his hand, interrupting Giambi) Star Colonel, I only need the one for Wells.  I still have the "Iron Horse". 


 
Star Colonel Giambi:  You still have that relic?  I have told you numerous times a non-omni mech is beneath your station.  You should be rid of this "Iron Horse".  It is from a bygone era, and better technology is available to you.


 
Star Captain Gehrig:  Respectfully Star Colonel, I am a Star Captain thanks to that relic.  Furthermore, I believe that in an assault, such as the one you are planning, the "Iron Horse" will perform better than a Timberwolf.  I feel a measure of a warrior is how he uses the tools gifted to him, not through the use of performance enhancing technology.  Just a replacement mech for Mechwarrior Wells, thank you.


Star Colonel Giambi:  Very well.  (Grinning to himself) Oh, I have just the replacement for that dezgra warrior.  He will never sit in an omni-mech again under my command.


 
Star Captain Gehrig:  It will matter little to that one.  I believe he is beyond caring... so long as after the battle, his platter full of food and his cup full of ale.  







Star Colonel Giambi:  Bah! I would ship him back to Huntress if the means available. (pauses briefly, looks down over his notes)  I'm also sending you a unit to join in the assault.  Star Commander Mattingly and the rest of his star should be arriving at Firebase gamma in a couple of hours.  Use them as you see fit.  They have recently been reassigned from the north and I know little of them...(looks up and in a sacrastic tone) Other than they pilot second line mechs, so you should feel right at home with them and your "Iron Horse".   I'll contact you in eight hours with the details of your assault on the HPG.  Giambi out. (Screen goes blank)

Star Captain Gehrig:  (shakes head, rolls eyes.  Then pushes an intercom button, which broadcasts to the entire firebase.)   This is Star Captain Gehrig,  We have a Star of Jaguar mechs inbound, should be here withing the next two hours.  Furthermore, would all mechwarriors report to the briefing room immediately, we have a mission. 

No comments:

Post a Comment